Out of Memory:Would it make any difference if I changed from Excel97 to the current v

  1. #1
    Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)
    Guest

    Out of Memory:Would it make any difference if I changed from Excel97 to the current v

    As a spreadsheet grows, I'm beginning to have occasional "Out of Memory"
    problems while doing "Paste" operations. Grumble, grumble....

    Digging into the problem a bit, I find the INFO statement tells me that
    I have roughly 50MB available to Excel and that most of it is used up.

    My question is simply whether there's anything that I can do to increase
    that 50MB gross amount before I tinker with how Excel is actually using
    it in the spreadsheet?

    1) Would it make any difference if I changed from Excel97 to the current
    version? Or does the same 50MB limit exist there still?

    2) Or is there anything within my XP operating system I can do to make
    it provide more space for Excel's use?

    3) The hardware has 724MB of RAM and a huge amount of disk space open so
    I presume there is nothing with the hardware that can ease the problem?

    Thanks...

    Bill

  2. #2
    Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)
    Guest

    re: Out of Memory:Would it make any difference if I changed from Excel97 to the current v

    Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address) wrote:
    > As a spreadsheet grows, I'm beginning to have occasional "Out of Memory"
    > problems while doing "Paste" operations. Grumble, grumble....
    >
    > Digging into the problem a bit, I find the INFO statement tells me that
    > I have roughly 50MB available to Excel and that most of it is used up.
    >
    > My question is simply whether there's anything that I can do to increase
    > that 50MB gross amount before I tinker with how Excel is actually using
    > it in the spreadsheet?
    >
    > 1) Would it make any difference if I changed from Excel97 to the current
    > version? Or does the same 50MB limit exist there still?
    >
    > 2) Or is there anything within my XP operating system I can do to make
    > it provide more space for Excel's use?
    >
    > 3) The hardware has 724MB of RAM and a huge amount of disk space open so
    > I presume there is nothing with the hardware that can ease the problem?
    >
    > Thanks...
    >
    > Bill

    --------------

    Incidentally, tinkering with the INFO("totmem") statement a bit shows
    that I have a total of 49.3MB available to Excel and only 1MB left open.

    So then I opened another big spreadsheet. The total memory goes UP to
    51MB. I open a third simultaneous spreadsheet and total memory
    available to Excel goes up to 63MB. There's still only 1MB free, but
    apparently "Total Memory" is a fluid concept somehow.

    Bill

  3. #3
    Charles Williams
    Guest

    re: Out of Memory:Would it make any difference if I changed from Excel97 to the current v

    the only number that works is INFO("Memused")
    There is a bug in INFO ("Memavail") it always returns the same number, and
    INFO("Totmem") always equals INfo("Memused")+info("totmem") so is also
    useless.

    for more details on Excel memoru usage etc see

    http://www.DecisonModels.com/memlimitsc.htm and associated pages

    Charles
    ______________________
    Decision Models
    FastExcel 2.1 now available
    www.DecisionModels.com

    "Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)" <[email protected]>

  4. #4

    Charles Williams wrote:
    > the only number that works is INFO("Memused")
    > There is a bug in INFO ("Memavail") it always returns the same number, and
    > INFO("Totmem") always equals INfo("Memused")+info("totmem") so is also
    > useless.
    >
    > for more details on Excel memoru usage etc see
    >
    > http://www.DecisonModels.com/memlimitsc.htm and associated pages
    >

    > Charles

    ------------------------

    Thanks Charles -- that explains some things.

    It seems a bit slack on Microsoft's part to have such a basic known bug
    exist all the way from the '97 version up to 2005. But then I guess
    they don't much care what I think.

    Bill

  5. #5

    Charles Williams wrote:
    > the only number that works is INFO("Memused")
    > There is a bug in INFO ("Memavail") it always returns the same number, and
    > INFO("Totmem") always equals INfo("Memused")+info("totmem") so is also
    > useless.
    >
    > for more details on Excel memoru usage etc see
    >
    > http://www.DecisonModels.com/memlimitsc.htm and associated pages
    >

    > Charles

    By the way, to anybody following this, the URL given by Charles above is
    apparently mistyped by one letter. I believe it should be:

    http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimits.htm

    Lots of good info there.

    Bill