VC Problem refreshing pivot table

  1. #1
    Vickster3659
    Guest

    VC Problem refreshing pivot table

    Hi,
    I have a worksheet that gets new data added once per month, using "Month" as
    a column. Before I added May data, my pivot table report displayed in the
    correct order- Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Grand Total. I'm using Office XP.

    After adding May data and refreshing the pivot, my pivot table now is
    displayed as Jan, Feb, Mar, May, Apr, Grand Total. How do I get May to be
    displayed after Apr? The data is pasted into the source worksheet with May
    after April.

    This does not happen all the time, but is extremely frustrating when it does
    because I have to tell the recipient "I don't know why this happens!"
    --
    Vickster3659

  2. #2

    Re: VC Problem refreshing pivot table

    Do you type in dates (01/21/2005 and format as MMM to get Jan)?

    Or do you type in the text Jan, Feb, ...?

  3. #3
    Vickster3659
    Guest

    Re: VC Problem refreshing pivot table

    Hi Dave,
    Actually, this data comes from an Access database, from which the field
    Month is an update query entering text into this field. Once the query is
    run, it gets exported to Excel, then a 'copy/paste' into the spreadsheet,
    then the pivot is refreshed. I even tried to reformat the column in Excel to
    "M" but that didn't work either.
    --
    Vickster3659

  4. #4

    Re: VC Problem refreshing pivot table

    Can you use a helper column to convert it to dates?

    =DATEVALUE(A1 &" 1, 2005")

    Then format that cell the way you like and use it in your pivottable?

  5. #5
    Vickster3659
    Guest

    Re: VC Problem refreshing pivot table

    sorry....In the grand scheme of my company, I feel I'm a pretty saavy user,
    but compared to you guys, I will always be a rookie.... can you elaborate
    please? would this be another column in the database or source spreadsheet?
    --
    Vickster3659

  6. #6

    Re: VC Problem refreshing pivot table

    Since I don't know anything about Access, I would use a column in excel.

    But my general feeling is to correct the data at the source--not in lots of
    programs/reports that use the same data.

    I'd see if the Access people could do something for me. Either add a field that
    converts the entry to a real date or make the users enter the field as a date.

  7. #7
    Vickster3659
    Guest

    Re: VC Problem refreshing pivot table

    Thanks for your help! This worked for me....
    --
    Vickster3659