Alphabetizing in Excel

  1. #1
    FORMULA QUESTION
    Guest

    Alphabetizing in Excel

    I know about the sort function in Excel. I have a column of names, first
    name followed by the last name. Can I get Excel to sort them by the LAST
    name?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Alphabetizing in Excel

    You need to create an additional column that contains only the
    last name, and sort on that column. For simple first and last
    names, the following formula will return the last name of the
    full name in A1.

    =MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1,99)

    Copy this formula down as far as you need to go.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...