changing date format

  1. #1

    changing date format

    hi,

    I'm trying over and over to change the date format cells,and it just doesnt allowed me,allow is not the right word - it just does nothing,or it changes only a few of the cells to the wanted format.
    I tried to change other date format cells on other file it went just fine,so why is it happening on the first file i was talking about ? what should i do ?

    thank you in advance,hummiz

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: changing date format

    What do you get if you use a formula like

    =ISTEXT(A1)

    where A1 is a cell with the date format that won't change
    If you get TRUE then it is text

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

    "hummiz" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    yes ur right,it is text,
    so how can i change it to a date variable ? I've got to much cells to do it manually ?

    thanks hummiz

  4. #4

    Re: changing date format

    It'll depend on what your data looks like.

    If it's nice and all in one column, you could select that column
    Data|Text to columns
    Fixed width
    chose the date format that matches (ymd, dmy, mdy or whatever).

    If that didn't work, you may want to post a snippet of what your dates look
    like--and how your dates show up when you hit ctrl-semicolon in an empty cell.

  5. #5
    alrighty dave,
    here's the file,its the Goodrich Corporation's 10 years stock data.
    the solution u offered didnt help,it keep stays as text and it doesnt changes to date format.

    so here's the file,the columns whom are relevant here is the "Date" and "Close"

    try to figure our what's going on please

    thank u,hummiz
    Attached Files Attached Files

  6. #6

    Re: changing date format

    I don't open files--and it's not readily available to users who connect directly
    to the MSServers.

    You could either post a sample in plain text or wait for someone else to open
    your file.

  7. #7
    ok nevermind, i solved the problem by cutting the text to pieaces then making a date by the Date function,so far its ok

    thank u