Understanding Range Names and Labels

  1. #1

    Understanding Range Names and Labels

    I have just worked through an excelent example for creating a chart
    directly from a formula on www.jkp-ads.com.
    This at last has got my head around Names (I think)
    eg.
    a name defined "sheet1!Top_left" =sheet1!$a$1 cannot be used or seen on
    another sheet
    a name defined "Top_left" =sheet1!$a$1 can be used on all sheets and
    always refers to sheet1
    a name defined "Top_left" =indirect("a1") can be used on all sheets and
    refers to a1 on the same sheet as the name call.

    The bit I need help on (and sorry for the waffle) is what Labels are and
    how do I use them.
    Pointers to other reading would be welcome. The xlhelp and ms sites
    haven't realy helped.
    What I am hoping they do is make some fairly involved sheets I have easier
    for others to decipher .

    Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

    Cheers RES

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Understanding Range Names and Labels

    There is no one-and-only definition of "Labels", but in connection with
    Names they usually mean the same thing.
    If you enter "Label1" in A1, and enter "=Label1" in B4, it works as "=A4",
    but only if you have checked Tools>Options>Calculation>Accept labels in
    formulas.
    So Labels work as a sort of implicit names.
    The option to disable this feature has been introduced later, because use of
    labels can cause many problems and is generally discouraged by experienced
    users.
    Recommended is to use explicitly defined names. Then you can get lots of
    support from utilities like Jan Karel Pieterse's Name Manager, to be
    downloaded from the site you already found.

    --

    Kind Regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Understanding Range Names and Labels

    That sheet1!top_left may not be visible in the namebox or the insert|Name
    dialog, but it can be used on a different sheet.

    If I define a couple of names:

    sheet1!top_left
    and
    sheet2!top_left

    I could put
    =sheet2!top_left
    anywhere on sheet1 and see the value from sheet2.

    That didn't work for you?

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Understanding Range Names and Labels

    You might also want to visit http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.Names.html

    Bob Phillips

  5. #5

    Re: Understanding Range Names and Labels

    Thanks to you all (Bob Dave Niek)
    this has added to my understanding significantly
    esp. local vers global names

    also I feel happy to leave the Labels element of Naming alone as it seems
    to be a bit unpredictable and can be covered using proper Names

    Cheers RES