Append Text to Cell Values Using Replace

  1. #1
    Ngan
    Guest

    Append Text to Cell Values Using Replace

    Hi,
    I've tried to search all the posts to see if anyone has run across this
    before but couldn't find one. So here goes my question :-)
    I'd like to be able to append some additional string (let's say "Hello ") to
    the contents of a range of cells, regardless of what they were. For EX, if a
    cell was "Linda", now it is "Hello Linda" etc.
    What I've done in the past is to put a formular in the next cell (let's say
    B1) that says ="Hello " & A1. That works but it's becoming quite time
    consuming after a while.
    I'd like to use just the "Replace" function and replace whatever in those
    cells with "Hello " & Whatever. I tried to replace * with Hello* but that
    didn't work. Excel ended up replacing all my cells with Hello* (the
    asterisk, literally).
    Please help!
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Append Text to Cell Values Using Replace

    Highlight the cells you wish to change, (those with Hello in the
    concatenation), then do Edit > Replace > in the FindWhat: window just type
    plain Hello, and in the ReplaceWith: window, type YourNewWord that you want
    to replace Hello, then press the ReplaceAll button.........

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ngan
    Guest

    Re: Append Text to Cell Values Using Replace

    Hi,
    Thanks for your response, but that's not I want. What I want is the other
    way around, i.e., to append "Hello " in front of the values of the cells
    (regardless of what they were). For EX, if a cell was "Linda", now it's
    "Hello Linda". If the cell was "Tom", now it's "Hello Tom". If the cell was
    "July 1st", now it's "Hello July 1st" and so on.
    Therefore, in FindWhat prompt, it has to be the wildcard * because I don't
    know in advance what all the cell values are. I need to know what to put in
    the ReplaceWith prompt.

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Append Text to Cell Values Using Replace

    You can't, you have to use MS Word for something like this, Excel is hardly
    a word processor although many people obviously want it to be one It could
    be done using VBA or formulas, not editing

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Append Text to Cell Values Using Replace

    Ok then, assuming your list of names is in column A, put this formula in
    cell B1 and copy down column B by just double-clicking on the little black
    square at the bottom right corner of B1 when it's highlighted.............

    ="Hello " & A1

    Then you can highlight column B and do Copy > PasteSpecial > Values to get
    rid of the formulas, then you can delete column A if you wish.........