counting similar items in a column

  1. #1
    bj
    Guest

    counting similar items in a column

    Hi,

    I have a spreadsheet with a column of alphanumeric codes. I would like to
    automatically count how many times the codes appear in the column. Currently
    I'm copying the data into another sheet, sorting it, printing it out and
    counting them by hand to build a monthly report. I know there has to be an
    easier way.

    Your help is appreciated.
    bj

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: counting similar items in a column

    Check out COUNTIF() in XL Help.

  3. #3
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: counting similar items in a column

    One approach might be to enter a unique list of the codes in say Column A.

    Then enter this formula in Column B and copy down as needed:
    =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,A1)

    Another approach, with your *original* column of data in Column A, might be
    to enter this formula in an adjoining column and copy down as needed.
    =COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1)
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    DPayne
    Guest

    RE: counting similar items in a column

    It sounds like you might be looking for the CountIf function. This function
    has you specify the range of cells in which the criterion might exist, then
    the criteria that you are search for (example - look for code A250, the city
    of Seattle, or a specific number such as 777).

    Here's how this would work. To find the number of times the code 777 exists
    in the range D1:D25, in a cell, type =COUNTIF(D1:D25,777).

    If this isn't what you are looking for, let us know.

    Donna Payne
    www.payneconsulting.com

  5. #5
    bj
    Guest

    RE: counting similar items in a column

    from another bj
    look at first
    the advanced filter
    and second
    the countif function

    Select the data you wish to analyze (column A?)
    <data><filters><Advanced filter>
    [unique data] and select a cell where you have no data under it. (C1)
    hit enter

    you should now have a sorted list of all of the unique data from column A
    in Cell D1 enter
    =countif($A:$1:$A:$1000,C1)
    and copy down to the bottom of the column C data.

  6. #6
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: counting similar items in a column