Please help: splitting...

  1. #1

    Please help: splitting...

    I need to have the values in these cells "splitted":

    A1: Red 8 Y 48
    A2: Magenta 2 Y 16
    A3: Green 30
    A4: Blue 12

    to something like these:

    B1: Red C1: 8 D1: Y E1: 48
    B2: Magenta C2: 2 D2: Y E2: 16
    B3: Green C3: D3: E3: 30
    B4: Blue C4: D4: E4: 12

    Please notice A3 and A4 have no number before the Y so the only number
    after the color name must go to column E.

    This is really a tough one for me. Any help from you experts would be
    greatly appreciated.

    Henry

  2. #2
    Jacob
    Guest

    Re: Please help: splitting...

    What kind of character is in between the values? i.e. If it is a TAB
    than use the Search function for the tab character w/in a MID function.

  3. #3
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Please help: splitting...

    You could try:
    <Data> <Text To Columns> <Delimited> <Next>

    Then check "Space",

    And make sure that
    "Treat Consecutive Delimiters As One"
    Is *NOT* checked,
    Then <Finish>

    This *might* work for you, depending on your actual data, where you might be
    able to delete some of the returned empty columns.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Please help: splitting...

    Thanks, RagDyer!

    It worked perfectly. I did have to check "Other" instead of "Space" to
    bring the values w/o the Y to the right columns...

    I spent a great deal of time trying to come up with a formula and your
    totally unexpected solution just blew me away.

    I just love the internet. What a great community!

    Henry

  5. #5
    RagDyer
    Guest