change cell shading when a number differs from the previous number

  1. #1
    zooeyhallne
    Guest

    change cell shading when a number differs from the previous number

    I am generally familiar with Excel, but need some help on this particular
    problem.

    Is there a way to apply a format where: whenever the number in a column
    differs from the one previous to it, a cell shading color change is applied.

    For example, you have a column of numbers in Excel:

    5 (cell shading color change applied)
    2 (cell shading color change applied)
    3 (cell shading color change applied)
    etc....

    It doesn't matter what color is used, just so that it is applied whenever
    there is a change from the previous number.

    There has got to be an easy answer to this.... thanks so much in advance for
    any help!

  2. #2

    Re: change cell shading when a number differs from the previous number

    You can use Format|Conditional formatting...

    Select A2 to Axxx (bottom of range) and with A2 the activecell:

    Format|conditional formatting
    Cell value is: "NOT EQUAL TO"
    rightmost text box: =a1

    And give it a nice format.