Chart Legend - Order of Entries

  1. #1
    Ron
    Guest

    Chart Legend - Order of Entries

    I'm running Excel2002 and have created a chart using several series of XY
    Scatter data. The chart is working fine, but I do not like the order in
    which the various groups of source data are listed within the Chart Legend.
    They don't appear to be listed either alphabetical or sequenced in relation
    to the time they were created. I cannot find a control that lets me move up
    or down the item listings within the legend. Is that possible? Thanks for
    your help.

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Chart Legend - Order of Entries

    Hi,

    You can specify the order by double clicking one of the data series and
    on the Series order tab change the plot order.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Ron
    Guest

    Re: Chart Legend - Order of Entries

    Thanks, Andy. I found the series order tab, and that worked well. But... I
    also have a few trendlines associated with some of the data series. The
    trendlines were not present on the series order tab. Is there any way to
    also rearrange their order within the Chart Legend?

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Chart Legend - Order of Entries

    Hi,

    There doesn't appear to be any way to position trendlines.
    Your best solution maybe to create your own legend. You could use
    autoshapes and textboxes. Or you may be able to use data labels with the
    legend showing, this may require you to add dummy data series, it
    depends how complex your chart is.

    Cheers
    Andy

  5. #5
    Ron
    Guest

    Re: Chart Legend - Order of Entries

    Andy - Thanks again for the prompt feedback. I thought it was worth a shot.
    I don't believe I need order in my life that bad. <G> Thanks again.