Multi-level passwords

  1. #1
    Todor
    Guest

    Multi-level passwords

    Is it possible to create multiple passwords allowing different users to be
    able to wiev (an write in) different columns in the same spredsheet? Also, is
    it possible to have an automatic updating process when different users change
    items in the spredsheet?

  2. #2
    Dear Sir

    I am using Excel Xp in a Windows Xp Pro System:

    Try this:

    Tools > Protection > Allow Users to Edit Ranges

    Once you do that a window appears that let you protect different ranges with different passwords and also assign NTFS permissions. For the options to take effect the sheet must be password protected.

    Yes, it is possible to have an automatic updating process user based, it would require some VBA programming.

    If still needs help setting the passwords please let me know I can send you a short video .wmv format so you can see the steps to follow.

    Regards
    Juan Carlos

  3. #3
    Hi Carlos and thank you very much. However this doesn't solve my problem with different users able to view different part of the sheet.

  4. #4

    Re: Multi-level passwords

    That password is internal to excel and can be anything that the developer
    wants. It doesn't have anything to do with NTFS.

  5. #5
    Todor
    Guest

    Re: Multi-level passwords

    Hi Dave thank you for the reply. Is there any way to make different users
    wiev different parts of the spredsheet or to view certain spredsheets in a
    single workbook?

  6. #6

    Please, verify ...

    Hi Dave,

    Please go to Tools >Protection >Allow Users to Edit ranges...
    Once there add a new range and click permissions... try to enter a user that does not have an account in the system and let me know what you think. It is used to allow certain users to edit without having to enter the password set.

    I am using XP PRO

    regards

    Juan Carlos
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cscorp; 06-07-2005 at 09:48 AM.

  7. #7

    Re: Multi-level passwords

    Nothing that would be secure. Excel's worksheet protection is easily broken.

  8. #8

    Re: Multi-level passwords

    But you don't need to use permissions button to protect the ranges.

    It seems it's kind of the opposite of what the OP wanted--but I see your point.
    It could be a useful technique to allow changes.

    (I don't have access to multiple users/different groups.)