date is not displaying correctly

  1. #1
    Deb
    Guest

    date is not displaying correctly

    I have a spreadsheet that I am currently having problems with the date not
    displaying correctly. I don't know what I did but when I first started the
    spreadsheet it was fine. If I type in a date such as 4/10/2004 is displays
    as 38087. If I want the date to display I have to type in '4/10/2004 for it
    to display in the cell. I need to be able to change back all of the dates
    that were converted to this numbering. If I go into format cells and click
    on date and choose the date display nothing happens as well as if I click on
    the general tab. I don't know what I did but, can anyone please help me?

    Thanks,
    Deb

  2. #2
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: date is not displaying correctly

    Probably the cells were formatted as text.

    Just changing the format doesn't work.

    Try this:

    In a new, unused cell, enter a date,
    4/10/2004
    If the date displays correctly. *and* is right justified, *and* when you
    check the format, it shows as a "date". then you know that you have a "good"
    cell.

    Right click in this cell, and choose "Clear Contents",
    Then right click *again* and choose "Copy".

    NOW, select all your "bad" cells.
    Right click in this selection and choose "Paste Special".
    Click on "Add",
    Then <OK>.

    You should now have all your date cells as *true* date cells.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: date is not displaying correctly

    Any chance you're looking at formulas?

    Do you see the date (nicely formatted) in the formulabar?

    If yes, Tools|Options|View tab|Uncheck Formulas.

  4. #4
    Santa Cruz, CA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: date is not displaying correctly

    With your problem cell selected, Hold down Ctrl key and type `
    This is a little hard to see, but it is the key to the left of 1 and right under the Esc key on a Qwerty keyboard.
    Then you can go to the format cell dialog box and pick the date format you prefer.
    That problem can be very frustrating because the fix is not intuitive and the advice is hard to locate. The gibberish that was displayed has something to do with the number of days since Jan. 1, 1900 or something like that.
    Den

  5. #5
    Administrator FDibbins's Avatar
    Duncansville, PA USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 7/10/13/16/365 (PC ver 2310)
    Posts
    52,926

    Re: date is not displaying correctly

    Den, welcome to the forum

    this thread is over 8 years old, I doubt anyone is still following it And fwiw...
    The gibberish that was displayed has something to do with the number of days since Jan. 1, 1900 or something like that.
    That is compeletly correct. Excel treats dates a x-mumber of days from 1/1/1900. If you are seeing something like this...41678...that is todays date, shown in General Format, all that need to be done is fornat as date
    1. Use code tags for VBA. [code] Your Code [/code] (or use the # button)
    2. If your question is resolved, mark it SOLVED using the thread tools
    3. Click on the star if you think someone helped you

    Regards
    Ford