Excel formula help/question

  1. #1
    Jodi
    Guest

    Excel formula help/question

    Hi all,

    I am trying to copy a spreadsheet created by a Excel genius who is no
    longer around to help me.
    Basically it is a utilization spreadsheet that tracks services for a
    massage operation. In the Grand Total area he set up a *"service"
    *column, *"rooms/day"* column and a *"staff"* column.
    I was able to figure out how we got rooms/day (for example =A$1*$A$1
    where A$1 is the number of rooms available and $A$1 is the number of
    days in a given month) but the formula for the staff column is giving
    me a headache. Its format is *='1'!A1+'2'!A2+*and so on until *'31'!A1*
    for 31 days in the month. Is this a statistical function because clearly
    one does not enter in this formula. Thank you to anyone who can help or
    point me in the right direction!

    --
    JodiPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

  2. #2
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Excel formula help/question

    Jodi,

    It's a formula with cell references to other sheets in the workbook. I
    trust those asterisks aren't in the formula. taking it piece by piece:

    ='1'!A1 This refers to A1 on sheet named 1.
    +'2'!A2 plus cell A2 on the sheet named 2, etc

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Excel formula help/question

    Like Earl says, the '1', '2'......'31' refers to Sheet Names........and your
    sample formula that uses them is just adding cell A1 of all 31 sheets
    together. If you don't see those sheets on the tabs below, they may be
    hidden. If so, try Format > Unhide........

    As for the formula =A$1*$A$1..........that don't make a whole lot of sense
    to me......it's just multiplying a cell times itself........perhaps it's a
    type-O? A$1, $A$1, $A1, A1 are all the same cell.

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Excel formula help/question

    Hi Chuck!

    >As for the formula =A$1*$A$1..........that don't make a whole lot of sense
    >to me......

    I'll bet that formula is intended to be copied across so that you get:

    B$1*$A$1
    C$1*$A$1
    D$1*$A$1
    etc

    Biff

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Excel formula help/question

    Hi Biff......

    Uh-huh, good point, that never occured to me......but how about

    >I was able to figure out how we got rooms/day (for example =A$1*$A$1
    > where A$1 is the number of rooms available and $A$1 is the number of
    > days in a given month)

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Excel formula help/question

    Yeah, that made me scratch my head when I read it!