File-Save is grayed out for periods of time in Excel 2003

  1. #1
    Ned Grubb
    Guest

    File-Save is grayed out for periods of time in Excel 2003

    On 2 machines out of 60 in our organization, the File-Save and File-Save As
    menu items become grayed out and unavailable at times. They may stay grayed
    out for two weeks to a month and then all of a sudden they are back and
    working. It is very frustrating. The only way to save a file when this
    occurs is to choose File-Exit and select Yes when asked if you would like to
    save the file.

    It is Excel 2003 on Windows XP SP2. I have tried re-installing and applying
    all updates several times but the problem persists. Has anyone seen this
    problem or have any suggestions for resolution?

    Thanks in advance,
    Ned Grubb

  2. #2

    Re: File-Save is grayed out for periods of time in Excel 2003

    Just a guess...

    Maybe it's a misbehaving macro. If a developer disables these options, it would
    be very nice to enable them when that program finishes.

    I'd look for *.xlb (where changes to the toolbars are kept).
    Rename them all to *.xlbOLD.

    Then watch for the change to occur again. When it happens, make a note of what
    workbooks you had open and go "see" those authors!

    But the next time it happens, you may be able to just reset the toolbar.

    Tools|Customize|toolbars tab|select Worksheet menu bar
    and click the reset button.

    (Renaming all the *.xlb files to *.xlbOLD will reset all the toolbars--not just
    the worksheet menu bar. You may want to try resetting first--it maybe
    sufficient.)