how to color code a cell in excel if amount reaches a minus

  1. #1
    Pat Mineard
    Guest

    how to color code a cell in excel if amount reaches a minus

    what is the formula that is used if any to color code a cell or many cells
    that the amount reaches minus within a spreadsheet, such as total is -$5.69
    in a roww and you may have others that may go in the minus
    How can you color code that cell and others if the amount reaches a minus?
    I would really appriciate any help because I am working on a expenditure
    report

    Thank you

    Pat Mineard

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: how to color code a cell in excel if amount reaches a minus

    The feature to do this is called Conditional Formatting

    Highlight the cells you wish to format, then do Format >
    ConditionalFormatting > CellValueIs > LessThan > 0 > Format > PatternsTab >
    select a color > OK > OK

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: how to color code a cell in excel if amount reaches a minus

    It's called "Conditional Formatting".
    You can look it up in the Help files.

    As an example, select A1 to A5, with the focus in A1 (colored white).
    Then, <Format> <Conditional Format>
    Change "Cell Value Is" to "Formula Is", and enter this formula:

    =A1<0

    Then click on "Format", and choose whatever format or pattern color you
    wish.
    Then <OK> <OK>.

    Now, A1 to A5 will change to the format you chose when either of the cells
    is negative.
    Key in a negative value or enter a formula that will return a negative value
    and test it out.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

  4. #4
    bigwheel

    "Pat Mineard" wrote:

    > what is the formula that is used if any to color code a cell or many cells
    > that the amount reaches minus within a spreadsheet, such as total is -$5.69
    > in a roww and you may have others that may go in the minus
    > How can you color code that cell and others if the amount reaches a minus?
    > I would really appriciate any help because I am working on a expenditure
    > report

    Probably best to use Conditional formatting. Select the range, click
    Format>Conditional Formatting then set the condition cell value less than 0
    and choose the font and cell colour you require

  5. #5
    B. R.Ramachandran
    Guest

    RE: how to color code a cell in excel if amount reaches a minus

    Hi,

    It depends on your criterian for color-coding cells.

    Scenario 1:

    If every cell were to get color-coded when its content reaches a negative
    value,

    (1) Select those cells (if those cells or non-contiguous, keep the CTL key
    pressed while selecting them),
    (2) Click 'Format' in the toolbar--> 'Conditional Formatting...'
    (3) In the Conditional Formatting window click the triangle on the
    right-hand side of 'between', select 'less than', and enter 0 in the right
    side bar,
    (4) Click 'Format' near the white strip saying 'No Format Set', select
    'Patterns', pick the color you want for color-coding the cells, click 'OK',
    and 'OK' again.

    OR

    Scenario 2:

    If you want an entire row, or a set of rows/cells (even non-contigues)
    color-coded when the value in a particular cell (e.g., A12) turns negative,

    (1) As in Scenario 1,
    (2) As in Scenario 1,
    (3) In the Conditional Formatting window, click the triangle on the
    right-hand side of 'Cell Value Is' and select "Formula Is', and in the
    right-hand side whilte strip enter the equal (=) sign, click on the deciding
    cell (e.g., A12), and enter <0 ( the equation would now read as =$A$12<0,
    (4) As in Scenario 1

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,
    B.R.Ramachandran

  6. #6
    George Teng
    Guest

    RE: how to color code a cell in excel if amount reaches a minus

    You can go to: Format, Condition Formatting, set the rule less than $0, set
    color to red or your desired color, and ok. That should solve your problem.

    GT