Deleting specific records from a column

  1. #1

    Deleting specific records from a column

    Hi All

    I have a little problem. I have two sets of records - let's say for the
    purpose of this exercise they are titled "a" and "b". The record sets
    differ but do have many matching records. My objective is to extract
    all the "b" records that match up with an equivalent record from the
    "a" column. The final record set will have these "b" records and their
    matching "a" records deleted from it. Example

    Column a Column b Final column

    earth earth sky
    sky grain fire
    fire metal air
    rain rain
    air heat

    Hope I've explained it well enough

    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Mike

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Deleting specific records from a column

    Hi!

    Range of lists is A1:B5

    In C1 enter this formula with the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER

    =INDEX(A$1:A$5,SMALL(IF(COUNTIF(B$1:B$5,A$1:A$5)=0,ROW(A$1:A$5)),ROW(1:1)))

    Copy down until you get #NUM! errors meaning the data has been exhausted.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Deleting specific records from a column

    Biff

    Great formula and yes it worked well. However the processing effort is
    enormous. I should have probably told you that the list wasn' that
    simplistic and there were about 10,000 records to sort through. It got
    there in the end though.

    Much appreciated.

    Mike