This is a hard one...

  1. #1

    This is a hard one...

    I have an excel sheet with information about inventory products. The list was origonally one worksheet. I broke up this work sheet into 6 different worksheets on the basis of the type of product it is. I now have to update one column of the original data.

    Is there a way to quickly and easily update a specific field WHERE one field equals another field?

    I would simply copy and paste the new field but now that i broke them up into different worksheets, they are not in the same order and it will no longer work.

    Thanks
    marc

  2. #2

    anyone???

    Do I need to explain this better?

  3. #3
    Two comments/suggestions for you.

    1. Why break up the products into 6 different sheets? If you ever want to look at just specific products (as long as you have a column that indicates product type) you could just use a Pivot Table to sort by type, then drill into the product specific information.

    2. VLOOKUP is the answer for your problem here and would be a snap if all your records were on on sheet, but still doable for your situation. VLOOKUP looks vertically down a spreadsheet and returns a specific field from another sheet when a common cell is found, in this case I would look it up by part number.

    If you haven't used VLOOKUP before it is probably one of the most useful tools in Excel for merging and compiling data from differnt data sources. Do a search for VLOOKUP on the forum for step by step instructions.

    HTH,

    PZan

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: This is a hard one...

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:09:00 -0500, goodfella
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have an excel sheet with information about inventory products. The
    >list was origonally one worksheet. I broke up this work sheet into 6
    >different worksheets on the basis of the type of product it is. I now
    >have to update one column of the original data.
    >
    >Is there a way to quickly and easily update a specific field WHERE one
    >field equals another field?
    >
    >I would simply copy and paste the new field but now that i broke them
    >up into different worksheets, they are not in the same order and it
    >will no longer work.
    >
    >Thanks
    >marc

    Depending on your structure, you might be able to use a VLOOKUP formula.

    --ron

  5. #5

    thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by PokerZan
[...]