merge/extract data from identical worksheets in a workbook

  1. #1
    Michelle K
    Guest

    merge/extract data from identical worksheets in a workbook

    Hi,

    I have a workbook that contains 100 identical worksheets. I need to count
    how many 1's are in say H1, how many 2's, etc.

    Can anyone please help me with this? I read somewhere in the discussions
    about having "dummy" sheets named Start and End and then just do a range.
    Can someone remind me of that formula?

    Thanks so much,
    Michelle

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: merge/extract data from identical worksheets in a workbook

    Michelle,

    The formula that you are thinking of is

    =SUM(Start:End!H1)

    but you can't modify it to count the way that you want.

    What is your worksheet naming convention?

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Michelle K
    Guest

    Re: merge/extract data from identical worksheets in a workbook

    they all have the same name: survey , survey (2), survey (3)...

    should i rename them?

    after that what's next?

  4. #4
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: merge/extract data from identical worksheets in a workbook

    Michelle,

    The reason I asked is that you can often build an INDIRECT formula to pull
    your data together into a table for further processing.

    The only sheet you should nedd to rename would be "survey" Rename it to
    "survey (1)" to keep your naming style consistent.

    Then insert a new sheet, and in cell A1 of that sheet, enter the formula

    =INDIRECT("'survey (" & ROW() & ")'!H1")

    and copy down for 100 rows (or the same number of rows as your highest
    number survey (xxx) sheet)

    Then you can use formulas on that list, like

    =COUNTIF(A1:A100,1)

    to count the 1's etc.

  5. #5
    Michelle K
    Guest

    Re: merge/extract data from identical worksheets in a workbook

    Perfect!

    Thanks Bernie!

    Michelle

  6. #6
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: merge/extract data from identical worksheets in a workbook

    Michelle,

    You're quite welcome.

    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP