Excel 97 to 2003 conversion problem

  1. #1

    Excel 97 to 2003 conversion problem

    I have just transferred an Excel database consisting of 4 files from Excel 97 to 2003. One of the files now will not save - when I try I first get a message 'Can't craeate backup file, save without?' If I say yes, it says 'Changes can't be saved because of a sharing violation.'

    This database works fine in 97, and the other 3 files all save okay in 2003, so I am puzzled. Any ideas?

    Paul

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Excel 97 to 2003 conversion problem

    Paul

    It sound like either the file is shared and has not been un-shared prior to
    trying to save in the new version. or... it is locked open by some process.
    this happens from time to time. Try re-booting the machine. (That is
    switch it off, not just restart. If that doesn't fix it, can you 'Save as'?

    Finally try starting Excel in safe mode by going to Start>Run and type
    excel.exe /safe

    Once you have done this you should be able to save the file

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    [email protected]HIS

    "PaulC" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Nick

    Many thanks for your suggestions.

    As the files are on the public folder on our office network, I have re-booted the server. It still would not save. I then tried opening Excel in safe mode. Still no joy.
    Unfortunately, I can't use Save as... because the VB code relies on the same name for the file.

    The file is in a shared folder with the other files which are okay. I have also had a test version of the database running okay in XP/office 2003 with this file saving normally. (We have switched from NT4/Office 97 to XP/Office 2003 at the same time.)

    Any other ideas?

    Best wishes

    Paul

  4. #4

    Re: Excel 97 to 2003 conversion problem

    Are you sure the message is coming from a builtin feature of excel? If it's a
    warning prompt from one of your macros, maybe you could contact the developer or
    step through the procedure and post the offending code.

    If it is coming from excel itself, then maybe searching google for the exact
    text would help.

    To me, your posted warning message seemed paraphrased (at least
    "non-excelish/non-microsoftish"):

  5. #5
    David

    Thanks for reply. I am pretty sure its from Excel rather than macros, as it occurs when I try to save it manually and the file only has a small Open Workbook procedure.

    You are correct about the lack of Excelish - the full warning message is:

    Cannot create backup file. Save 'Filename.xls' without backup?

    If you reply Yes, you get the following message:

    Your changes could not be saved to 'Filename.xls' because of a sharing violation. Try saving to a different file.

    I have not yet managed to find anything useful on either message using Google.

    Paul

  6. #6

    Re: Excel 97 to 2003 conversion problem

    I don't have a guess...

    But a few things to try.

    #1. Turn off your antivirus program (just temporarily) to see if that helps?
    #2. Is there anyone who has the workbook open at the same time?
    (If yes, what happens when that person closes the workbook?)
    #3. If you copy the workbook to a folder on your harddrive
    (and keep it shared), does that change the behavior?
    #4. If you copy the workbook to the same folder (different name), does that
    change the behavior?

    I don't see anything that would help me diagnose it, but maybe your responses
    will help someone and they'll jump in.

  7. #7
    David

    Thanks for suggestions. I have been away on a training course so only just got to look at your ideas.

    As file is returned to read only after being saved, I don't think it would affect this even if someone else did have it open.

    If I copy file to another shared folder I can save the file with the same name

    If I copy file to same folder with different name I can also save file ok. As soon as I try to save as.. back to the original name it wont save.

    So its only when I try to save the file in the correct folder with the correct name that it wont allow it.

    Does this give any more clues?

    Paul

  8. #8

    Re: Excel 97 to 2003 conversion problem

    If you copy the original to a new name, then delete the old name, then save as
    the old name, does that work?

    (I still don't have any real idea!)

  9. #9
    David

    I'm afraid that does not work either.

    I think I will have to admit defeat and rename the workbook, amending the VB code accordingly. Hopefully, that will do it.

    Thanks again for your suggestions.

    Paul