Double entry

  1. #1
    Rob graham
    Guest

    Double entry

    I have a spreadsheet with several columns and I make entries in rows across
    the columns. I would like to be able to have some of those entries copied
    into another sheet to save making the entries twice.

    I can see how to get a cell in the second sheet to pick up the entries in
    the first but I may add rows in the first sheet from time to time and I want
    these to be automatically picked up in the second.

    Also, in the first sheet there are some rows which I don't want copied over,
    and I may make entries in rows subsequent to these. How can I accommodate
    all this?

    Rob Graham

  2. #2
    Jim May
    Guest

    Re: Double entry

    Small Sample...

    Sheet1Range A1:C6
    Code Amt Dup?Sheet2
    abc 1,123.00 Y
    cds 1,234.00 Y
    vvv 1,345.00 N
    bb 1,456.00 Y

    Apply Data, Auto-Filter on C1 = Y
    to get:
    Code Amt Dup?Sheet2
    abc 1,123.00 Y
    cds 1,234.00 Y
    bb 1,456.00 Y

    Highlight selection and COPY;

    Move to Sheet2
    and in A1 Edit, Paste-Special
    Click the "Paste-Link" Button

    It's a start --- Maybe?????
    HTH

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Rob graham
    Guest

    Re: Double entry

    "Jim May" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Small Sample...
    >
    > Sheet1Range A1:C6
    > Code Amt Dup?Sheet2
    > abc 1,123.00 Y
    > cds 1,234.00 Y
    > vvv 1,345.00 N
    > bb 1,456.00 Y
    >
    > Apply Data, Auto-Filter on C1 = Y
    > to get:
    > Code Amt Dup?Sheet2
    > abc 1,123.00 Y
    > cds 1,234.00 Y
    > bb 1,456.00 Y
    >
    > Highlight selection and COPY;
    >
    > Move to Sheet2
    > and in A1 Edit, Paste-Special
    > Click the "Paste-Link" Button
    >
    > It's a start --- Maybe?????

    Jim,

    Thanks for this. Unfortunately I'm not as skilled as you are and don't
    readily follow your post.

    Firstly, are you telling me to enter the following into cells?
    > Sheet1Range A1:C6
    > Code Amt Dup?Sheet2
    > abc 1,123.00 Y
    > cds 1,234.00 Y
    > vvv 1,345.00 N
    > bb 1,456.00 Y

    i.e., into A1 I would put *Sheet1Range A1:C6*
    into B1,B2,B3 *Code Amt Dup?Sheet2*
    and the other items into 4 rows in 3 columns beneath?

    Rob

  4. #4
    Jim May
    Guest

    Re: Double entry

    Originally, I meant to say Sheet1Range A1:C5 << The reference to
    Sheet1RangeA1..
    was not intended to be entered into the sheet.
    Does that help.

  5. #5
    Rob graham

    > Originally, I meant to say Sheet1Range A1:C5 << The reference to
    > Sheet1RangeA1..
    > was not intended to be entered into the sheet.
    > Does that help.

    Thanks Jim.

    Now if I enter some data in say Sheet1, row C6 I would like it to
    automatically find its way to a row in Sheet 2.

    Rob

  6. #6
    Jim May
    Guest

    Re: Double entry

    Rob:
    My take on what you were wanting to do was to suggest that your
    use the Copy of your Full Data from Sheet1 and do a Paste-Special - Paste
    Link to Sheet2.
    That way, whatever changes you make to the existing records on Sheet1
    auto-update
    the same records on sheet2 as each of your cells on sheet2 are linked to
    it's couterpart
    cell on sheet1.

    Now, if you periodically add rows to sheet1, it would be "easiest" to simply
    again do
    a Copy of your full table on sheet1 and the paste-special Paste link onto
    sheet2, but
    before so doing erase all your data off sheet2 (top to bottom) as you are
    about to
    completely replace it with the newly updated sheet1.

    Maybe I assumed perhaps too much here,,,

  7. #7
    Rob graham
    Guest

    Re: Double entry

    Jim,

    The cut and paste works fine. In fact, that is what I currently do. But I
    really wondered whether there was a way (there usually is with Excel) to
    automatically move information from one Sheet to another as soon as it was
    entered. I may be being to hopeful here!

    Rob