Problem with drop down list and contents of second cell

  1. #1
    theslaz
    Guest

    Problem with drop down list and contents of second cell

    Thanks in advance..I am trying to design a Invoice type document in
    Excell. I have created a drop down list containg the names of various
    products. When I select a product from this list I would like it also to
    make reference to the price per unit of this product and I would like
    this refernece to be in the adjacent right hand cell from where this
    product is listed.
    E.G. In column "A" I have listed all my different products. In column
    "B" I have listed their respective prices. In column "C1"; I have
    formatted the cell to contain a drop down list of all my products in
    column "A". When I select a product from the drop down list it will be
    displayed in "C1". I would like to also have it's corresponding price
    displayed in Column "D1" .Is this possible!!

    Thanks in advance..

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Problem with drop down list and contents of second cell

    Yes, but you can hide your reference pricelist on another worksheet by using
    named ranges for your data validation and vlookups. You need both:

    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com
    www.MyExpertsOnline.com

  3. #3
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Problem with drop down list and contents of second cell

    Slaz,

    The dropdown won't populate two cells. Let the drop down put in the product
    name, then use VLOOKUP function in the second cell to retrieve the price
    from your product table.

    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com/

  4. #4
    theslaz

    Anne Troy wrote:
    > Yes, but you can hide your reference pricelist on another worksheet by using
    > named ranges for your data validation and vlookups. You need both:
    > http://www.officearticles.com/excel/...soft_excel.htm
    > http://www.officearticles.com/excel/...soft_excel.htm
    >
    > *******************
    > ~Anne Troy
    >
    > www.OfficeArticles.com
    > www.MyExpertsOnline.com
    >

    > "theslaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >

    >>Thanks in advance..I am trying to design a Invoice type document in
    >>Excell. I have created a drop down list containg the names of various
    >>products. When I select a product from this list I would like it also to
    >>make reference to the price per unit of this product and I would like
    >>this refernece to be in the adjacent right hand cell from where this
    >>product is listed.
    >>E.G. In column "A" I have listed all my different products. In column
    >>"B" I have listed their respective prices. In column "C1"; I have
    >>formatted the cell to contain a drop down list of all my products in
    >>column "A". When I select a product from the drop down list it will be
    >>displayed in "C1". I would like to also have it's corresponding price
    >>displayed in Column "D1" .Is this possible!!
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance..

    Thanks I have solved that problem with the lookup feature.

    Trying to go one step futher with my list. What I have/want is to select
    one of five categories in the orginal list. Then I would like to be able
    to make a selection from the items listed under that category; in other
    words; a list within a list.. It is these items that would have a price
    associated with them.
    E.g. Column "A" would have the names of the five categories. I would
    choose one; then I would like to have the items under that category show
    in a list in column "B". I would choose one and the price for that item
    would show in column "C". I now know how to get the price to show;
    thanks to your help. It is now the list that I'm having problems with.
    Is this possible?

    Thanks in advance

    Jerry

  5. #5
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Problem with drop down list and contents of second cell

    You bet, slaz.
    You'll find that at ****'s Blog:
    http://www.*****-blog.com/archives/2...ta-validation/

    *******************

  6. #6
    theslaz

    Anne Troy wrote:
    > You bet, slaz.
    > You'll find that at ****'s Blog:
    > http://www.*****-blog.com/archives/2...ta-validation/
    >
    > *******************
    > ~Anne Troy
    >
    > www.OfficeArticles.com
    > www.MyExpertsOnline.com
    >

    > "theslaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    >>Anne Troy wrote:
    >>
    >>>Yes, but you can hide your reference pricelist on another worksheet by

    > using
    >
    >>>named ranges for your data validation and vlookups. You need both:
    >>>

    > http://www.officearticles.com/excel/...soft_excel.htm
    >
    > http://www.officearticles.com/excel/...soft_excel.htm
    >
    >>>*******************
    >>>~Anne Troy
    >>>
    >>>www.OfficeArticles.com
    >>>www.MyExpertsOnline.com
    >>>

    >>>"theslaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >>Thanks I have solved that problem with the lookup feature.
    >>
    >>Trying to go one step futher with my list. What I have/want is to select
    >>one of five categories in the orginal list. Then I would like to be able
    >>to make a selection from the items listed under that category; in other
    >>words; a list within a list.. It is these items that would have a price
    >>associated with them.
    >>E.g. Column "A" would have the names of the five categories. I would
    >>choose one; then I would like to have the items under that category show
    >>in a list in column "B". I would choose one and the price for that item
    >>would show in column "C". I now know how to get the price to show;
    >>thanks to your help. It is now the list that I'm having problems with.
    >>Is this possible?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance
    >>
    >>Jerry

    Checked it out; tried it and it works. Thanks again!