need to add/remove characters over thousands of cells

  1. #1
    Nadia
    Guest

    need to add/remove characters over thousands of cells

    I have thousands of payroll records that are imported into excel on a daily
    basis.
    The cost codes appear like this: 7002/1045.824240305
    The 7002/ needs to be removed and a . (dot) inserted five from the end
    like this: 1045.8242.40305
    Please note there are hundreds of different cost codes so I cannot simply
    copy and paste but they must all be coverted so the format is the same.
    I am desperate for suggestions.
    cheers,
    Nadia

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: need to add/remove characters over thousands of cells

    Try this formula: =MID(A1,FIND("/",A1,1)+1,LEN(A1))
    Then use a custom format to get the dot in there.
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com
    www.MyExpertsOnline.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: need to add/remove characters over thousands of cells

    Another option:

    =REPLACE(REPLACE(A1,LEN(A1)-4,,"."),1,5,"")

    If those prefix characters to be removed are always 5 characters.

  4. #4
    Nadia
    Guest

    Re: need to add/remove characters over thousands of cells

    Thank you both so very much for taking the time to reply.
    Dave yours worked a treat!
    cheers,
    Nadia