How do I extend underline across a whole cell w/o using the border

  1. #1
    R Morgan
    Guest

    How do I extend underline across a whole cell w/o using the border

    I am trying to figure out how to extend an underline across a whole cell
    without using the border. I have cells that have it done, but when I try to
    change the information in them, it reduces the underline to just the text in
    the cell.

  2. #2
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: How do I extend underline across a whole cell w/o using the border

    Try using single or double*accounting* underline.

    Funny thing about this is, although it's called accounting, if you enter a
    number in the cell, the underline does *not* extend the full width of the
    cell.
    Text will make it go the full width.
    Also, entering a number with an apostrophe prefix, or *pre-formatting* the
    cell to Text, will allow it to fill the entire width when using numbers.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David
    Guest

    Re: How do I extend underline across a whole cell w/o using the border

    RagDyer wrote

    > Try using single or double*accounting* underline.
    >
    > Funny thing about this is, although it's called accounting, if you
    > enter a number in the cell, the underline does *not* extend the full
    > width of the cell.
    > Text will make it go the full width.
    > Also, entering a number with an apostrophe prefix, or *pre-formatting*
    > the cell to Text, will allow it to fill the entire width when using
    > numbers.

    I've found, in XL2K at least, that accounting underlines do not extend the
    *full* width of the cell.

    --
    David

  4. #4
    R Morgan
    Guest

    Re: How do I extend underline across a whole cell w/o using the bo

    The apostrophe combined with the single accounting underline did the trick.
    Thank you very much.

  5. #5
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: How do I extend underline across a whole cell w/o using the bo

    R.Morgan,
    Appreiate the feed-back

    David,
    In the 3 versions that I have access to:
    XL97 - XL2k - XL02

    All work *exactly* the same way as I posted above!

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    David
    Guest

    Re: How do I extend underline across a whole cell w/o using the bo

    RagDyer wrote

    > David,
    > In the 3 versions that I have access to:
    > XL97 - XL2k - XL02
    >
    > All work *exactly* the same way as I posted above!

    Hmm.., maybe I don't follow your definition of 'entire width'. I see a
    small gap left and right of the underline that doesn't meet the cell
    gridline. And if I format several cells in the same row, the underline is
    broken between entries no matter what I do.

    Ex: I type '22 in A1, format font underline as single accounting, drag-fill
    to G1, underline is not continuous, i.e., broken between cells.

    And... row height increases from 12.75 to 15.00.

    Oh, well, I was just curious about new ways to make things look the way I
    want. No bigee.

    --
    David

  7. #7
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: How do I extend underline across a whole cell w/o using the bo

    Yes, your definition of "entire width" *doesn't* match my definition, *OR*
    the OP's either, for that matter.

    You're odd man out.<bg>

    RD

    "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    RagDyer wrote