Show minus figures with brackets

  1. #1
    Louise
    Guest

    Show minus figures with brackets

    Good afternoon all

    I have a colleague who is extremely new to Excel and when he types a
    negative value into a cell, he wants it to show brackets rather than the
    minus sign. I realise this can be done by applying a Custom Number Format,
    however, as he is a complete beginner with Excel, I have a feeling this will
    be too confusing for him.

    Is there another way that he can apply this formatting rather than setting
    up a custom number format?

    Thank you.

    Louise

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Show minus figures with brackets

    No. You could put

    =TEXT(A1,"#,##0;(#,##0)")

    in another cell, but isn't this just as confusing?

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Show minus figures with brackets

    Can your colleague use a built in format?

    Format|Cells|number tab
    Number category

    There are options how to show negative numbers (red/with a minus/inside
    parentheses).

    If you don't see the parentheses option, you/your colleague can toggle a windows
    setting.

    Windows start button|settings|control panel|regional settings
    (Or regional and language settings in winXP)

    Regional Options tab, customize button in winxp

    Currency Tab
    change the negative currency format to show ()'s.

  4. #4
    Louise
    Guest

    Re: Show minus figures with brackets

    Hi Dave

    Thanks for your reply. I have gone into the Regional Settings, however, on
    the Currency tab I don't have an option for Negative numbers, it simply says
    Number, Currency and Date??

    Thanks.

    Louise

  5. #5
    Kassie
    Guest

    Re: Show minus figures with brackets

    Hi Louise,

    When you get to Currency, click on Customize, which is right next to
    Language, and go doen the list to Negative Number Format (5th from the top,
    4th from teh bottom)

  6. #6
    Louise
    Guest

    Re: Show minus figures with brackets

    Hi

    Really sorry about this but it doesn't seem to have worked??

    I've put () in the negative section and the negative number format is now
    (1.1). Any idea why it's not working??

    Thank you.

    Louise

  7. #7
    Kassie
    Guest

    Re: Show minus figures with brackets

    Hi Louise

    Either exit Excel, and go back in, or reformat the affected cells as
    number/currency, an d re-enter the data

  8. #8
    Hi Louise

    Here are some examples that might help you.

    First select the cell or cells you what to reformat.

    Then go to Format > Cells...
    Select the Number tab then go right down the list to Custom.

    For currency you have 3 default preloaded:

    £#,##0;-£#,##0
    which would give you: £1,000 or -£1,000

    £#,##0;[Red]-£#,##0
    which would give you: £1,000 or -£1,000 (in red)

    £#,##0.00;-£#,##0.00
    which would give you: £1,000.00 or -£1,000.00

    £#,##0.00;[Red]-£#,##0.00
    which would give you: £1,000.00 or -£1,000.00 (in red)

    The formula you are after is the following:
    £#,##0.00;(£#,##0.00)
    which would give you: £1,000.00 or (£1,000.00)

    You will need to type is manually in the Type: box.

    You can pretty much choose whatever suits you best based on the way you want it dipslayed:

    £#,##0;(£#,##0)
    which would give you: £1,000 or (£1,000)

    £#,##0;£(#,##0)
    which would give you: £1,000 or £(1,000)

    £#,##0.00;(£#,##0.00)
    which would give you: £1,000.00 or (£1,000.00)

    £#,##0.00;£(#,##0.00)
    which would give you: £1,000.00 or £(1,000.00)

    You can even combine parentheses and colours:
    £#,##0;[Red](£#,##0)
    which would give you: £1,000 or (£1,000) (in red)

    Hope this helps!

  9. #9
    india
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Question Re: Show minus figures with brackets

    Hi all,
    For my application, a -ve number means a good thing.
    I want it to appear in Green brackets and not RED. :P
    I tried keeping it black and the formatted the text font color to green. it works that way
    But im looking at a direct format approach as there are thousands of such cells.
    I cannot apply conditional formatting.
    Any ideas wud be appreciated.

    Regards
    Rishi