Referencing

  1. #1

    Referencing

    Hi There.
    I have 2 columns of client accounts. I need to take the 1st column and see if any of the account #'s show up in the 2nd column. In a 3rd Column I want a list that shows which company codes are in both the 1st and 2nd column. Should I use access for this or can it be done in excel? Any help would be appreciated..I have to get it done by next thursday!
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: Referencing

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

    has some nice techniques on how to tag or treat duplicates

    Regards

    Peo Sjoblom

  3. #3

    Refrencing

    Thank you for the reply. I am not able to get his code to work because I would like column B to look through column A to see if there are duplicates, not search for duplicates in one column. Is there anywhere to find that out?
    Thanks.

    **here's basically what I want it to do**

    If(anything in column B=anything in column A, "duplicate", "") I just don't know how to get column B to do that...I basically need each cell from column b to check each cell from column A to see if it's listed there.
    Last edited by Delaina; 06-23-2005 at 05:24 PM.

  4. #4
    Forum Guru
    North America
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007
    Posts
    15,829
    Adapted this from the information on cpearson's website above:

    C1=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$10,$B1) then copy down to C10 (adjust range references and such to your specific situation, of course)

    This will count the number of times the value in B1 occurs in A1:A10. If B1 isn't in A1:A10, it returns 0. You can enclose this formula in an IF function if you want.

  5. #5

    Talking Thank You

    Thank you so much-I wasn't understanding the formula the way the website explained it. Job well done!