windows explorer will not open an excel spreadsheet.

  1. #1
    hal
    Guest

    windows explorer will not open an excel spreadsheet.

    my excel spreadsheets will open correctly with the excel/file/open command,
    but will not open from windows explorer. when i click on a spreadsheet in
    explorer, only the excel application opens, with a blank spreadsheet. i can
    then open the desired spreadsheet with the file/open command.

  2. #2

    Re: windows explorer will not open an excel spreadsheet.

    Sometimes one of these works:

    Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

    --- or ---

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    factory defaults.

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: windows explorer will not open an excel spreadsheet.

    Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
    Exit Excel and try again.

    If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

    Close Excel first and
    On the Windows Taskbar

    1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
    2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.
    See the space between exe and /regserver

    You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
    In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

    One more thing to try if any of the above brings no joy.........

    Go to Start>Settings>Folder>Options>File Types. Scroll down to MS Excel
    Worksheet. Then if running Win98 OS Edit> select "Open" and Edit.

    If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced">Open>Edit.

    In Command line the path should be similar to this....

    "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e (delete the <sp>/e if
    you want Book1 to open.

    You must have the double quotes.

    Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

    Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP