Sort by 2nd word in a cell?

  1. #1
    Curious Lady
    Guest

    Sort by 2nd word in a cell?

    If I create a data base with a name cell that includes both the first and
    last name, can I sort by the first letter of the last name?

  2. #2

    Re: Sort by 2nd word in a cell?

    The first thing I'd do is to use two more columns and put the first and last
    names into their own columns.

    Data|Text to columns
    seems like a good way to start.

    Then sort by those helper columns.

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Sort by 2nd word in a cell?

    If you have not created the DataBase yet, then by all means use separate
    columns for the first and last names.......it's so much better in the long
    run........if you already have such a list, then it's best to separate it
    with the "TextToColumns" feature or the "MID" formula..............

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Curious Lady
    Guest

    Re: Sort by 2nd word in a cell?

    Dave,

    I already do the two columns but have difficulty transferring it into Word
    (usually creating class rosters) without using mail merge. I am not sure
    what you mean by Data|Text to columns. I will try using the help but any
    quickie advice would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

  5. #5
    Curious Lady
    Guest

    Re: Sort by 2nd word in a cell?

    We already have the data base and I understand what you are telling me to do;
    however, I am not familiar with the "TextToColumns" feature or the "MID"
    formula. Where would I find this and can you suggest a good question to ask
    Mr. Wizard Help? Thank you for your time.

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Sort by 2nd word in a cell?

    You could use Data>Text to columns to break the cell into two columns then
    sort on the last name.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  7. #7
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Sort by 2nd word in a cell?

    Save your data and use a copy for this exercize........
    Be sure the column to the right of your column is blank, or insert a new
    one...........
    Highlight the column with the names, then do Data > TextToColumns >
    Delimited > Next > check the SPACE box > finish
    This splits the surname over to the blank column

    or

    If your data in column A, put this in B1 and copy down.........
    =MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1,99)
    This will put the surname in column B, leaving column A intact

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Curious Lady
    Guest

    Re: Sort by 2nd word in a cell?

    Thanks a million. I am off to try it and if works you have no idea how much
    joy you will brought to the world. :-)

  9. #9
    Curious Lady
    Guest

    Re: Sort by 2nd word in a cell?

    It worked very well. Thank you. Can I then do the reverse action? If I
    have 2 columns, first name, last name, can I merge them into a column that
    contains the names together? Thank you again for your time.

  10. #10

    Re: Sort by 2nd word in a cell?

    =A1&" "&B1

    or =B1&", "&A1

    just a note. It's usually lots easier to concatenate stuff (put it together)
    than to separate fields.

    Dr. James Throckmorton Smythe-Davis, III

    would be difficult to separate.

  11. #11
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Sort by 2nd word in a cell?

    You're very welcome...........yes, it can be reversed........ the process is
    called CONCATENATION...........
    Assuming Firstname in Column A and Lastname in B, put one of these in
    C1.......
    =A1&" "&B1 will result in Firstname Lastname
    =B1&", "&A1 will result in Lastname, Firstname

  12. #12
    Curious Lady
    Guest

    Re: Sort by 2nd word in a cell?

    =A9&" "&B9&" "&D9&" "&E9
    And again it worked. Wonder what you do to know this. The above will
    separate the Dr.'s name. It took me a while to get the formula in
    correctly, not sure why, but then you can just use the fill. Interesting.
    Thanks again.