Last Column(=spaces) is Dropped When Importing from .Txt file

  1. #1
    Ttown
    Guest

    Last Column(=spaces) is Dropped When Importing from .Txt file

    I am importing a text file from the mainframe in which the last
    field of the record is spaces. After transfer of the file down to my
    PC as a text file, I then wish to import it into Excel.
    Excel is truncating the last column and wiping out my record length
    which needs to be a fixed record length. After user corrections,
    the Excel file will then be formatted back to text and processed
    by another PC application. Any suggestions on how to prevent
    the truncation of the last column of my records?
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Last Column(=spaces) is Dropped When Importing from .Txt file

    If the last column is always the same number of spaces you could set it as
    =rept(" ",9) or however many spaces you need
    if it is variable but you can calcualte however many you need by the other
    cells
    try something like
    =rept(" ",50-len(A1)-Len(B1)-len(c1)) etc.

  3. #3
    Ttown
    Guest

    RE: Last Column(=spaces) is Dropped When Importing from .Txt file

    Thanks for your reply,
    but I forgot to say that this last column MAY contain spaces.
    It does this time, but may not always.

  4. #4
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Last Column(=spaces) is Dropped When Importing from .Txt file

    when you generate the data to go back,
    do a len() function ad use the rpt function to make sure you have enough
    spaces.