System Restore / Excel

  1. #1
    sergio31lon
    Guest

    System Restore / Excel

    I'm not sure if I've come into the right sub category ... Hopefully yes !

    Two days ago, I began having problems with 1. Excel 2. Outlook
    I have a feeling both are connected.

    When I try and open Excel, I receive the following response :
    Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office XP Professional with
    Front Page.
    Followed by : The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other
    removable disk that is not available.
    This again is followed by Error 1706.

    I don't have the discs.

    Subsequently, when I go into Outlook and compose email, I click on one of my
    accounts to send the email. Where I would normally see a list of my
    accounts,
    the response I receive is :
    Microsoft Word : Unable to complete the operation. A fatal error has
    occured.

    I realised that something has changed, perhaps without my knowledge.

    I tried to restore my settings for the previous day.

    1. The Help function is disabled.
    2. When I try to do this via System Accesories, The egg timer momentarily
    appears then disappears without the application opening.
    3. I have also checked System in the Control Panel and under System Restore,
    the Turn off system restore box is unchecked. Under status is states :
    Monitoring - That's it
    4. On boot up, there are no dates stored so there isn't anything to scroll
    down to

    I'm just so stuck. I have so much information stored on Excel and of course,
    Outlook is a problem.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    KM
    Guest

    RE: System Restore / Excel

    Sergio,
    I had the same Error 1706 message come up when I went to pull up my saved
    Excel Files. It says the feature you are trying to use is on a "network"
    that is unavailable. My saved files are on my c drive, so that doesn't make
    sense. It says to try an alternative path to install package PROPLUS MSI and
    I'm not sure what all that means.

    I also noticed that when I used Outlook this message came up regarding
    Symantec Client_Security files not being able to load, so it appears with
    both of these happening at the same time, it's not a coincidence.

    I tried to call Microsoft tech and you get the run around. I bet they are
    starting to get a lot of calls on this one...maybe in a few days they'll have
    an update to fix it. But if anybody has heard how to fix, please let us know.

    Thanks, KM