How do I find replace special characters?

  1. #1
    zzapper
    Guest

    How do I find replace special characters?

    Hi
    How can I find/replace all TAB characters (decimal 9) in an excel file?

    I mean how do you specify a TAB in the search box?

  2. #2

    Re: How do I find replace special characters?

    Sometimes hitting and holding the alt-key while typing the character number will
    work (like alt-0010 for alt-enters).

    You could use a helper cell with a formula:

    =substitute(a1,char(9)," ")

    Then copy|paste special|values and toss the bad column.

    Or maybe you could run a little macro...

    If you want to replace these characters with something else (space or
    nothing???), you could use a macro to do the edit|replace's:

    Option Explicit
    Sub cleanEmUp()

    Dim myBadChars As Variant
    Dim iCtr As Long

    myBadChars = Array(Chr(9))

    For iCtr = LBound(myBadChars) To UBound(myBadChars)
    ActiveSheet.Cells.Replace What:=myBadChars(iCtr), Replacement:=" ", _
    LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
    Next iCtr