how to copy old price data onto new stock list if match exists?

  1. #1
    julan
    Guest

    how to copy old price data onto new stock list if match exists?

    I have an old price list which i want to use to populate the new price list.
    The new stock list has some items the same - some are missing, some new
    items are added. How can i copy the price field for the items on the old
    stock list that match the new list? I cant figure out where to look on help.
    The lists are in excel.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    2003 Excel
    Hi Julian,
    you can use VLOOKUP to do this.

    Say your old list items are in A1:A100
    and their prices are in B1:B100

    The items in column A must be in alphabetical order

    if your new list of items are in D1:D100
    in E1 put this formula
    =VLOOKUP(D1,$A$1:$B$100,2,FALSE)

    This will look for the value in D1 in the table of the old stock A1:B100
    If it finds a match it will return the value found in column B and put it in column E.

    If it does not find that item in the old list it will retun a #N/A.

    You can then drag this down for all your values in column D.

    HTH.
    Greg.

    "The most overlooked advantage of owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against whacking them around a bit."

  3. #3
    Fred
    Guest

    RE: how to copy old price data onto new stock list if match exists?

    Julian,

    Use VLOOKUP() to find a the old price for those items that previously
    exisited.

    Assume: Old price list has Part # in ColA, Price in ColE
    Sort old price list by Part #

    Assume: New price list has Part # in ColA, Price in ColG
    In new price list G2 enter
    =if(iserror(vlookup(A2,'Old List'!A1:E999,5,FALSE),"",vlookup(A2,'Old
    List'!A1:E999,5,FALSE)))
    where "'Old List'!A1:E999" is the name of the sheet and range containing the
    old prices.
    This will return the price if Part No exists otherwise NULL
    Copy down all rows in new list - Job done.

    HTH