Getting message can't save all data in excel xls file

  1. #1
    Melody05
    Guest

    Getting message can't save all data in excel xls file

    When I hit the save button on my excel database file, I get a message that
    says "couldn't save all the data & formatting you recently added". I hit ok,
    exit the program and immediately re-open. It seems that my changes are saved
    and I can hit the save key then and I do not receive the message at that
    time. This has not always happened, it is a recent problem and it is
    annoying to keep having to close and reopen every time I make a change. Any
    help on this would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2

    Re: Getting message can't save all data in excel xls file

    Some info:

    XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats

    I'd remove some of the formatting. (maybe format per column??)

    If it gets too bad, you may not be able to reopen your workbook. If that
    happens, then a few people have posted that they could open the file in
    OpenOffice, then remove some of the formatting, save it and then excel would
    open that file ok.

    http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

  3. #3
    Peter Quarrell
    Guest

    Re: Getting message can't save all data in excel xls file

    This error message is _not_ triggered by having too many different cell
    formats, but is a separate message caused by having too many rows with
    conditional formats in them. See
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=215783 which describes this.
    The limit seems to vary quite a lot. I have a workbook someone sent me which
    crashes with this error if a small block of cells are given a conditional
    format, but it has far more than the quoted number of 2050 rows with
    conditional formats.

    If you can, one way to get away from this problem is to replace some of your
    conditional formatting by VBA code. You need to write VBA code for the
    relevant worksheet's Worksheet_Change event which checks whether the newly
    changed cell is one for which a change should trigger some reformatting of
    that cell or others (exit the routine if not), and if so, identify the
    cell(s) that need reformatting and insert statements which will reformat
    those cells. This allows you to delete the conditional formatting on all the
    target cells you have included, and can help quite a lot, though it obviously
    takes some time to get it all right.

    While trying it out, it's worthwhile to be able to turn the event process on
    or off; type "Application.EnableEvents=True" or
    "Application.EnableEvents=False" into the immediate window of the VBA Editor
    to do that.