Password Protecting

  1. #1
    Nick
    Guest

    Password Protecting

    I am trying to write some code so when a button is pressed a password message
    comes up and needs to be entered for accessing the information.

    Any ideas people. Would be very grateful as been trying this for a while now

  2. #2
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: Password Protecting

    Nick, something like this, you will need lock the VBA project so you can't
    see the password in it

    Sub PassWord_To_Run()
    'must lock VBA project so you can't see the password in it
    Dim MyStr1 As String, MyStr2 As String
    MyStr2 = ("123") 'This is the password and it is CASE sensitive
    MyStr1 = InputBox("Password Required")
    If MyStr1 = MyStr2 Then

    'your code here

    Else
    MsgBox ("Access Denied")

    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Nick
    Guest

    Re: Password Protecting

    Cheers mate, thats fantastic. Just one other question. Can you do the same so
    if the sheet2 is clicked (at bottom left of excel sheet) a password box
    appears. I want to set my program up so access to sheet2 is password
    protected so no-one can view its contents.

  4. #4
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: Password Protecting

    Nick, here is some code, to put in this macro right click on the worksheet
    tab and view code, in the
    window that opens paste this code, press Alt and Q to close this window and

    Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
    Dim strPassword As String
    On Error Resume Next
    Me.Protect Password:="123"
    Me.Columns.Hidden = True

    strPassword = InputBox("Enter password to view this sheet")

    If strPassword = "" Then
    Me.Previous.Select
    Exit Sub
    ElseIf strPassword <> "123" Then
    MsgBox "Password Incorrect "
    Me.Previous.Select
    Exit Sub
    Else
    Me.Unprotect Password:="123"
    Me.Columns.Hidden = False
    End If

    On Error GoTo 0
    End Sub

    Private Sub Worksheet_Deactivate()
    On Error Resume Next
    Me.Columns.Hidden = True
    On Error GoTo 0
    End Sub

    Be aware that sheet passwords are very easy to break and all somebody would
    have to do is open the workbook with macros disabled unprotect the sheet and
    then unhide the columns to see your data, this will keep out some people but
    if somebody wants to see your data in Excel they will find a way, Excel is
    not a secure platform.
    You will also need to protect the VBA project so people can't see the
    password from there.

    To protect the VBA project, from your workbook right-click the workbook's
    icon and pick View Code. This icon is to the left of the "File" menu this
    will open the VBA editor, in the left hand window right click on your
    workbook name and select VBA project properties, protection, check lock
    project for viewing and set a password. Press Alt and Q to close this window
    and go back to your workbook and save and close the file. Be aware that this
    password can be broken by third party software

  5. #5
    Nick
    Guest

    Re: Password Protecting

    Cheers mate that works perfectly. Is there actually any way of getting the
    password box to display without enntering the sheet. i.e when Sheet2 is
    presses the pass word box is displayed before the sheet can be entered.

    Thanks agin mate

  6. #6
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: Password Protecting

    Nick, then how about this, it will hide sheet 2 using xl very hidden, you
    want see it listed in the unhide menu so most people want know its there.
    You will also need to protect the VBA project like before so the password
    can't be seen or the sheet made visible from there. When you want to view
    the sheet run the unhide_me macro.

    Put this in the sheet code

    Private Sub Worksheet_Deactivate()
    On Error Resume Next
    Me.Visible = xlSheetVeryHidden
    On Error GoTo 0
    End Sub

    And this in a regular module

    Sub unhide_me()
    Dim MyStr1 As String, MyStr2 As String
    MyStr2 = ("123") 'This is the password and it is CASE sensitive
    MyStr1 = InputBox("Password Required To Run This Macro")
    If MyStr1 = MyStr2 Then
    Sheet2.Visible = xlSheetVisible
    Sheet2.Select

  7. #7
    Nick
    Guest

    Re: Password Protecting

    Thanks alot mate. I actually sorted the problem by writing
    sheets("sheet1").select at the start of the macro. I will try your method as
    well as see which works best for my application. Thanks for all the help i'm
    very grateful.

    Thanks again Paul