Date/Time stamp with one stroke?

  1. #1
    Reverse_Solidus
    Guest

    Date/Time stamp with one stroke?

    I know that you can have Excel insert the current date with CTRL + ; and the
    current time with CTRL + SHIFT + :. Is there some way to insert both with
    one command?

    I know it seems like a small thing, but we have a worksheet for employees to
    keep track of completed tasks. When they complete a given task, they need to
    put the date and time of completion in a specific cell. However, over the
    course of a day, they may be completing upwards of 250 tasks. Even lessening
    the time to complete the time stamp by a single set of keystrokes would be
    helpful.

  2. #2
    Reverse_Solidus
    Guest

    RE: Date/Time stamp with one stroke?

    As an additional note, I did try changing the formatting of the cells to Date
    and Time, then using CTRL + ; to put in the current stamp. This does add a
    time, but it will only add midnight.

  3. #3
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: Date/Time stamp with one stroke?

    You could do it with a macro. Press ALT+F11, go to Insert
    > Module, and paste in the code below. Press ALT+Q to

    close the Visual Basic Editor:

    Sub InsertDate_Time()
    With ActiveCell
    .Value = Now
    .NumberFormat = "mm/dd/yy h:mm AM/PM"
    .Offset(1, 0).Select
    End With
    End Sub

    ---
    Now go to Tools > Macro > Macros and make sure the macro
    name is highlighted. Press "Options" and insert a letter
    such as lowercase "a". Your shortcut is now Ctrl+a.

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  4. #4
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: Date/Time stamp with one stroke?

    Hi
    Have you tried
    =NOW() and then format as time / Custom h:mm:ss

    HTH
    Michael

  5. #5
    Reverse_Solidus
    Guest

    Re: Date/Time stamp with one stroke?

    Excellent! That works great. Thank you very much!

  6. #6
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    Re: Date/Time stamp with one stroke?

    Just a thought, but if you enter a formula that includs the current time and
    date, isn't is going to update itself constantly, every time you open or
    recalculate your workbook? Thus, if you finish a job today and open the
    workbook tomorrow, it'll show tomorrow's date!

    One way to get around this is to convert the formula to a value using paste
    special, once you've entered it into the cell. You would do it like this:

    Sub InsertDate_Time()
    With ActiveCell
    .Value = Now
    .NumberFormat = "mm/dd/yy h:mm AM/PM"
    .Copy
    .PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues, Operation:=xlNone, _
    SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
    End With
    Application.CutCopyMode = False 'empties the clipboard
    End Sub

    Hope this helps

    Pete

  7. #7

    Re: Date/Time stamp with one stroke?

    but you used .value (not .formula).

    So the copy|paste special|values is not necessary.

  8. #8
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    Re: Date/Time stamp with one stroke?

    Dave,

    Whoops, you're quite right - that'll teach me to pass comment about other
    peoples' perfectly satisfactory solutions!

    Pete

  9. #9

    Re: Date/Time stamp with one stroke?

    Doesn't stop me!

    Sometimes, the words change between viewings!

  10. #10
    Erin
    Guest

    RE: Date/Time stamp with one stroke?

    Great responses if you use word or excel. Any idea how to do this in
    Outlook? -Erin ([email protected])

  11. #11

    Re: Date/Time stamp with one stroke?

    Maybe posting in an Outlook newsgroup would get better responses.