Opening two separate instances of Excel

  1. #1
    Ron Bishop
    Guest

    Opening two separate instances of Excel

    My users (who are accountants) use dual monitors and would like to open a
    different Excel file on each monitor for the purposes of reviewing changes
    between the two. I know that one method of doing this is by opening Excel
    twice with its shortcut, then highlighting one Excel window and opening an
    Excel file, then highlighting the other window and opening the other Excel
    file. Unfortunately, the software that my users use to organize the Excel
    files does not allow this to be done; it always opens every Excel file in the
    first Excel window no matter which instance is highlighted. We had a similar
    problem with Adobe Acrobat, but there is a command line switch that forces
    Acrobat to open a new instance for each file.
    Is there a similar switch for Excel, or some other method of forcing Excel
    to open a new instance of itself for each file? We are running Excel 2003 on
    Windows XP. Thank you in advance for your replies.

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Opening two separate instances of Excel

    You might try going into the file associations (via Windows Explorer ->
    Tools, Folder Options, File Types) and for XLS files eliminate "uses DDE"
    from the Open command. Replace it with a " %1" on the command line (after
    the "/e").

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ted
    Guest

    Re: Opening two separate instances of Excel

    just what I was looking for and this one actually does work as prescribed!!
    Thanks Jim and thanks to Ron for asking the question.
    --
    Thanks,
    Ted