Trying to shorten (or use new) formula

  1. #1
    Monk
    Guest

    Trying to shorten (or use new) formula

    Hi.

    Im probably doing this completely wrong but i want the spreadsheet to return
    a value when you enter a number.. ?

    Ok.. simple terms.
    I have say 100 product codes and their product description detailed on the
    spreadsheet. If I enter a product code in to cell E4 (for example) I wish the
    cell with the formula in it to return the product description

    I have managed this using the below formula

    =IF(E4=1,L8,"")&IF(E4=2,L7,"")&IF... and so on to product No. 100

    But im finding im having to enter a very long formula and there is only a
    specific length the formula can be.

    Is there away of shortening the formula or entering a different one to get
    the same result .??
    Many thanks.. J.

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Trying to shorten (or use new) formula

    Hi, Monk. For a sample file, go to
    http://www.myexpertsonline.com/freedls/pricelist.xls
    For the two features used to produce the sample, see:
    Dropdowns using data validation:
    Vlookup:
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com