String error on closing worksheet

  1. #1

    String error on closing worksheet

    Hello,

    Running Excel 2000 on WINNT.

    Recently had a Document Management System installed only to find it interfered with running macros. The application was rolled back and a registry fix was provided to refresh the Office applications but did not delete any registry entries for the DMS.

    The biggest issue we now have is an error which occurs whenever a worksheet or workbook is closed. Excel generates an error message box with the header "String # 17 (Error # 53 - File not found: DMESupp.xll). The body of the error message box contains a "?" icon and the text: String ID 34 ('filename.xls').

    Does anyone have any ideas on what needs to be removed/changed to stop this type of error, please? (getting really desperate now ... )
    TIA and warm regards,

    Lee.
    ************************

  2. #2
    Have since discovered a project named DMEODMA.xla lurking in my VBA window. This is locked and I cannot delete it even though the application which deposited it there has been uninstalled. I strongly suspect this may be the cause of the 'String' error messages.

    Can anyone suggest how I could possibly get rid of this unwanted project, please?

  3. #3

    Re: String error on closing worksheet

    Look under Tools|Addins in Excel. If you find it there, uncheck it.

    If it's not there, look in your XLStart folder. If you find it there, (with xl
    closed), move it somewhere else.

  4. #4
    Dave,

    Thank you for your prompt answer.

    I have no Add-ins with a check mark and could not find one listed with this name. I did, however, find it in the XLStart folder. I dragged it out of the folder and this has solved the 'String Error' message BUT if I now choose File > Open, I receive an error stating "DMEODMA.xla could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file location is correct."

    Is there another directory where this file should be located in order for the 'Open' command to function, please? Or is there another solution?

    Many thanks to anyone who can help me with this.

  5. #5

    Re: String error on closing worksheet

    I'd uncheck all those addins in Tools|Addins and restart excel.

    Then close and restart excel. If the problem goes away, then start adding them
    back one by one to see which causes the trouble.

    Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors at:

    And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes at:
    http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.htm

  6. #6
    Thank you Dave.

    My regedit function has been disabled by the system administrator (bless his little cotton socks!). I will do some further research.

    Your suggestions are much appreciated.