Tyring to shorten a formula ..!

  1. #1
    Monk
    Guest

    Tyring to shorten a formula ..!

    Hi.

    Im probably doing this completely wrong but i want the spreadsheet to return
    a value when you enter a number.. ?

    Ok.. simple terms.
    I have say 100 product codes and their product description detailed on the
    spreadsheet. If I enter a product code in to cell E4 (for example) I wish the
    cell with the formula in it to return the product description

    I have managed this using the below formula..

    =IF(E4=1,L8,"")&IF(E4=2,L7,"")&IF... and so on to product No. 100

    But im finding im having to enter a very long formula and there is only a
    specific length the formula can be before it wont let me add any more.

    Is there away of shortening the formula or entering a completly different
    one to get the same result .??
    Many thanks.. J.

  2. #2
    N Harkawat
    Guest

    Re: Tyring to shorten a formula ..!

    Look at Help for the function VLOOKUP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    B. R.Ramachandran
    Guest

    RE: Tyring to shorten a formula ..!

    Hi,
    This could be a possibility, if (a) the product codes (and descriptions) are
    in contained in sequential rows (i.e., with no blank rows in between), (b)
    the info for each product is contained in only one row.
    If the product codes are in column K and descriptions in column L (say
    starting from row 2 to row 101), and you want the description for a product
    to appear in F4 based on the code you enter in E4,
    the formula for F4 would be
    =OFFSET($L$2,MATCH($E$4,$K$2:$K$101,0)-1,0)
    Hope this works!
    Regards,
    B.R.Ramachandran