Is there an ALERT function to be used as a reminder?

  1. #1

    Is there an ALERT function to be used as a reminder?

    Hello..
    Is there an alert function which exists in Excel..
    I am working on a spreadsheet which involves lots of dates ..
    and ideally I would like it so that when I open the spreadsheet in the morning, the date on the desktop will link to the sheet and some sort of alert will appear stating that a certain row (record) has that date?

    Im not sure whether Im explaining properly..
    these dates are for notices..theyre the last dates of representation for hearings and so ideally it is very important i have some sort of alert every morning when i open the spreadsheet!

    Many thanks for any suggestions im advance.

  2. #2
    ScottO
    Guest

    Re: Is there an ALERT function to be used as a reminder?

    Have you tried using Conditional formatting?
    If today's date is after the "due date", then format the row as bold red for example.
    Rgds,
    ScottO

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    aidey
    Guest

    Re: Is there an ALERT function to be used as a reminder?

    Dear Chick,
    I have written a little VBA macro that should do the trick. Here are
    your instructions:-
    1. Select the column that contains the last date for representations
    and enter "Cases_Date" in the Name Box (the Name Box is immediately
    above cell A1).
    2. Select another column which contains the row identification that
    you want to be displayed in the alert and enter "Cases_ID" in the Name
    Box.
    3. You will need to paste in some VBA code. I will assume you have
    never done this before, so, to keep it simple just have this one excel
    workbook open, then press Alt and F11 to open a VBA window.
    4. Right click on ThisWorkbook and select View Code.
    5. Change the dropdown that says "(General)" so that it's set as
    "Workbook". The right hand dropdown should now say "Open" (if it
    doesn't, set it).
    6. The editor should show the line "Private Sub Workbook_Open()" and
    the line "End Sub". In between these lines paste the following: -

    For Each cell In Range("Cases_Date").Cells
    If cell = Date Then
    Case_List = Case_List & Cells(cell.Row, _
    Range("Cases_ID").Column).Value & Chr(13)
    End If
    Next
    If Case_List <> "" Then
    MsgBox ("Cases due today:" & Chr(13) & Chr(13) & Case_List)
    End If

    7. Click the save button, close the VBA window, and away you go: close
    then re-open the workbook and try it out.
    Regards
    Aidey