Upgrading Excel with technical features for engineers, please

  1. #1
    structural and hydraulic engineers
    Guest

    Upgrading Excel with technical features for engineers, please

    I would like to see much more technical features in excel. I am studying for
    structural engineer and I make models with excel. But the program doesn't
    have enough features to make good models, think about mechanics (and showing
    its specifics graphs) and physics calculations which got to do with
    structures.

    So make us an "technical excel" for structural and hydraulic engineering

    New students don't have mathematics anymore, the have to make models with
    excel nowadays!!!

    best regards

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Upgrading Excel with technical features for engineers, please

    I would be interested in more details as to what you want to do.
    I expect Excel can already do most things.
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Upgrading Excel with technical features for engineers, please

    While I wouldn't mind seeing more engineering functions in XL (though
    there are professional add-ins that include engineering functions), I
    would like a disclaimer placed on any structure or system designed in XL:

    "This structure/system was designed using Microsoft Excel. In the
    Excel license agreement, Excel's manufacturer explicitly denies that
    Excel is fit for any use whatsoever, and doesn't warrant that its
    results are correct. The engineer who used this was either uneducated,
    sloppy or ignorant. Enter/use at your own risk."

    In article <[email protected]>,

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Houston, TX
    << ... New students don't have mathematics anymore, the have to make models with excel nowadays!!! >>

    How can one be a good engineer without any sound mathematical background? So, what happens if the system crashes ... there is no Excel to depend on and the reports are due before they know it?

    Without any sound mathematical background, these so-called new students/engineers who do not have mathematics anymore won't even know how to differentiate/integrate functions required in basic engineering calculations.

    They might not even know how to plot a simple graph in an X-Y plane.

    How sad :-(((

    ... just my very humble opinion.
    BenjieLop
    Houston, TX