Can't open any files due to my non-existant virus scanner

  1. #1
    Jay
    Guest

    Can't open any files due to my non-existant virus scanner

    I just installed all the current windows updates (WINDOWS XP)
    Then i installed EXCEL because i needed it for a job i have to do,
    EVERY time i try to open a previously created .xls file it says :

    "The file cannot be opened because your virus scanner has detected a problem
    with the file"

    This is extremely strange because I don't have a virus scanner...
    (a file that has previously worked)
    So i created a new document, wrote a couple of letter on it, saved it and
    tried to open this brand new file, and i got the same message, i cannot open
    it,
    i cannot open anything

    I DO have a spyware scanner which operates only when i tell it to do a full
    or quick system scan, but i tried shutting it down completey, and still got
    the same message
    i tried turning off this new microsoft windows virus detection thing from
    the update but that also did not work.

    HELP!!!!THank you in advance...

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Can't open any files due to my non-existant virus scanner

    Have you installed the Excel updates as well. (Office Update)
    Perhaps Excel considers the file to be corrupt, try detect and compare
    don't know where that is though look in help.

    Is your security set to "Medium

    ---
    HTH,