golf handicap

  1. #1
    Phineus
    Guest

    golf handicap

    I'm trying to set up an excel spreadsheet to calculate my handicap. The
    tricky part, for me anyway, is I need to average the 10 best scores out of
    the last 20 played. Any idea? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: golf handicap

    This is a little chunky, but here goes. Use the LARGE() function,
    which allows you to pick out the Nth largest number in an array. So if
    your 20 scores are in A1:A20, it would look like this:
    =AVERAGE(LARGE(A1:A20,1)+LARGE(A1:A20,2)+LARGE(A1:A20,3)+
    ....LARGE(A1:A20,10))

  3. #3
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: golf handicap

    Mistake! The AVERAGE function doesn't work in that context. Divide by
    10 instead.

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: golf handicap

    On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 18:27:02 -0700, "Phineus"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm trying to set up an excel spreadsheet to calculate my handicap. The
    >tricky part, for me anyway, is I need to average the 10 best scores out of
    >the last 20 played. Any idea? Thanks.

    There are several ways.

    Assume your scores are in A2:An.

    In A21, enter the formula:

    =IF(A21="","",AVERAGE(SMALL(A2:A21,ROW(INDIRECT("1:10")))))

    This is an array formula so must be entered by holding down <ctrl><shift> as
    you hit <enter>.

    Then copy/drag the formula down as far as necessary.

    --ron

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: golf handicap

    Hi!

    How is the data layed out? Down a column? Across a row? Are there any blank
    cells in the range? Any zeros? What if there aren't 20 scores?

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...