Prevent Excel closing all workbook instances when clicking on "X"

  1. #1
    Deeptech-NM
    Guest

    Prevent Excel closing all workbook instances when clicking on "X"

    I open multiple Excel documents by double clicking on them.
    This seems to introduce them into the same instance of Excel.
    When I try to close one of those documents it want's to close all of the
    documents.

    This doesn't happen when I open the Excel shell first and browse to eace
    file I want to open.

    How can I make Excel documents open in their own separate instance when
    double clicking on them?

  2. #2

    Re: Prevent Excel closing all workbook instances when clicking on "X"

    Excel behaves differently than MSWord.

    With tools|Options|View tab|Windows in taskbar checked, if you click on the
    appication's titlebar's X, you're closing the application--so all the workbooks
    opened in that instance close.

    So be a little careful and click on the worksheet's titlebar's X (right below
    the application's X).

  3. #3
    Deeptech-NM
    Guest

    Re: Prevent Excel closing all workbook instances when clicking on

    I understand that clicking on the application's "X" button closes all
    workbook instances and that I could simply click on the workbook's "x"
    button, that is not my question.

    I want to know if there is a way to open the workbooks in a new instance of
    Excel other than opening the application shell first and then opening the
    individual workbooks from within the application.

    I have tried checking and unchecking <tools|options|view tab|windows in
    taskbar> Either way all workbooks opened via a double click open in the same
    instance of Excel and get closed when I click on the application's "X" button.

    Is there a setting I can change beit a checkbox, registry setting etc. that
    will make all Excel workbooks - when opened directly - open in their own
    separate instance of Excel?

    Thanks in advance.

  4. #4

    Re: Prevent Excel closing all workbook instances when clicking on

    You could try:

    Tools|options|General tab|Ignore other applications (check it)

    Then double click on the workbook in windows explorer.

    And be aware that turning this setting off sometimes gives errors with workbooks
    that contain spaces in their path/name:

    C:\my documents\excel\my book.xls

    The error will look kind of like:
    cannot find c:\my ..
    then
    cannot find documents\excel\my
    then
    cannot find book.xls

    ==
    It may be easier/safer/more reliable to start the second instance and then
    File|open the workbook.

  5. #5
    Deeptech-NM
    Guest

    Re: Prevent Excel closing all workbook instances when clicking on

    Checking that option prevents me from opening any of my Excel documents.

    Any other suggestions?

    Cheers,

  6. #6

    Re: Prevent Excel closing all workbook instances when clicking on

    Just to start excel, then file|Open.

  7. #7
    Deeptech-NM
    Guest

    Re: Prevent Excel closing all workbook instances when clicking on

    So I guess it's not possible anymore.
    Why Microsoft would make that change to one aspect of Office but not another
    confuses me.
    Is this likely to be the norm from now on?
    Can we expect the same degredation in functionality from Word and Powerpoint
    in future releases of Office I wonder...

  8. #8
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Prevent Excel closing all workbook instances when clicking on

    AFAIK that wasn't possible before either

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9

    Re: Prevent Excel closing all workbook instances when clicking on

    You may want to send your thoughts to Microsoft.

    [email protected]