Forecasting value of an used car in Excel

  1. #1
    Lucia Piepoli
    Guest

    Forecasting value of an used car in Excel

    Hello,

    What do you think is the best formula to calculate in Excel an extimated
    value in january 1st 2008 of the used car bought new in july 1st 2004, only
    having the following data of it?

    (today value - new: $9900)
    today's value - used car bought new in july 1st 2004: $6200
    today's value - used car bought new in january 1st 2004: $5700
    today's value - used car bought new in july 1st 2003: $5200

    I would like to find a formula that doesn't return a negative value if I use
    it for example on an extimation on 1/1/2100 instead of 1/1/2008, like the
    standard forecast formula do.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance
    Luci

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Forecasting value of an used car in Excel

    =if(formula<0,0,formula)

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Diego
    Guest

    Re: Forecasting value of an used car in Excel

    :-)

    And what's the best "formula"?

    Luci

  4. #4
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: Forecasting value of an used car in Excel

    Not sure how this is set up, so here is just a general suggestion.
    Would Excel's VDB (variable declining balance) function work for you?
    What I was thinking is that you use the purchase price in this formula with
    the appropriate time period to the most recent estimated value. Then, for
    the Factor, point to a blank cell.
    Then use Excel's goal seek to adjust the VBD's function to the most recent
    value by adjusting the "factor" cell.
    Then make the assumption that this "factor" is appropriate to your car's
    depreciation.
    Then you can use the value of this factor in all you VDB formulas.
    Again, just throwing out an idea.

    PS: I saw your post over in sci.math.num-analysis. One suggestion was to
    simply multiply by something like 0.91 each period as a form of expediential
    decay formula.
    --
    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Forecasting value of an used car in Excel

    The one you are already using I would assume.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Forecasting value of an used car in Excel

    Tom Ogilvy wrote...
    >=if(formula<0,0,formula)

    Nice, but why evaluate formula twice?

    =MAX(0,formula)