Setting a default save folder for a template

  1. #1

    Setting a default save folder for a template

    I know how to set the default save folder in general.
    You go to Tools > Options > General
    and then change the default file location.

    What I would like to do is set a default file location for a specific template. For example, I would like the default file folder for almost every file I make in Excel to be c:\MyFiles\ but whenever you begin a new workbook from a particular template, the default file location will be c:\SharedFiles\

    Is there any way to do this?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2

    Re: Setting a default save folder for a template

    Depending on what version of excel you're using, there might be an easy
    workaround.

    If you're using xl2002+, then you may find it easier to just add that location
    to the left hand side of the
    SaveAs dialog.

    Point to your folder (inside the file|SaveAs dialog), then Tools|Add to "My
    Places"

    Then you'll have a quick shortcut to that folder. (And you can add other
    folders there, too.)

    If you're using xl2k, MS has a COM addin that does the same kind of thing.

    INFO: Office Developer Samples and Tools Available for Download (Q253338)

    Scroll about halfway down. Might make your life a little easier.

  3. #3
    Orange Park, Florida, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013

    Re: Setting a default save folder for a template

    I was running into the same problem, as I needed to save about 20 templates... and navigating to the right folder individually was a hassle.

    Although I didn't solve this, I did eliminate a lot of the hassle by creating a folder within the default path where I could save my templates quickly. Then afterwards I located the folder that was filled with the 20 templates and copy/paste moved it.

    Rick Grantham