i know this has to be so easy -newb

  1. #1

    i know this has to be so easy -newb

    At work we have a competition and we keep up with a set of points we get each day.

    I want to create a worksheet that looks like this:

    Name | + | - | Total Points

    I want to be able to simply enter 3(or any number) in the Plus column have it add to the total points, keep that running total, and clear the 3 that i put in there so it will be ready for tomorrow.

    The same goes for the minus, I want to be able to deduct these points from the Total Points, then clear the number i entered in the minus field, saving the running total...

    I'm fairly good with the basics of excel, but i couldn't think of a formula that would keep a running total, while clearing the entered information.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: i know this has to be so easy -newb

    It's not the best way to approach this.
    You have *no* record of past entries, so how can you check if a mistake was
    made, or even if an entry was forgotten to be made.

    However, check out this link of John McGimpsey:

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "chris_" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: i know this has to be so easy -newb

    On Error GoTo ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    With Target
    If .Column = 2 Then
    .Offset(0, 2).Value = .Offset(0, 2).Value + .Value
    .Value = ""
    ElseIf Target.Column = 3 Then
    .Offset(0, 1).Value = .Offset(0, 1).Value - .Value
    .Value = ""
    End If

    End With

    ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True

    Bob Phillips

  4. #4
    ok, i wasn't aware that you could use VB with excel... I see that I have a sheet called "ThisWorkbook" and I added the code from Bob's post, but i'm not sure what actions I need to do to make it work with my worksheet...

    could someone please give the noob some kind of step by step help on how to get this working?

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: i know this has to be so easy -newb

    Chris,

    The code is worksheet code, not workbook code. Check the instructions I gave
    at the end of the post to see how to install it.

    And it is VBA, Visual Basic for Application <g>

    Bob Phillips

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: i know this has to be so easy -newb

    .... and then just enter values into the + or - columns (B & C in my code),
    and watch the totals (D) update.

    Bob Phillips

  7. #7
    thanks so much bob, everything is working great... I missed the part on right clicking on the worksheet tab, so that was my problem.

    Thanks again.