#######?

  1. #1
    boblock
    Guest

    #######?

    I bought a new computer with an updated version of Excel post transfering my
    old spread sheet to office 2003 I've found most of my dates now now read
    #######. I have yet to figure out a way to insert a date (ie 7/9/05) without
    this same issue occuring.

  2. #2
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: #######?

    boblock, the column is not wide enough to display the data, widen the column
    or maybe change the formatting, I have seen dates change formatting when you
    open a file in a newer version

    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: #######?

    Just to add to Paul's response.

    I bet your short date format is different in the new pc than in the old pc.

    Using some formats, excel will pick up that windows format and use that.

    You may want to fiddle with your windows setting
    windows start button|control panel|regional settings
    to change that date format.

    (I like mm/dd/yyyy (leading 0's and 4 digit years). I've received workbooks
    that were developed on pcs that used m/d/yy as the format. The column widths
    had to be widened for me (and narrowed for those other users).)

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: #######?

    I like yyyy-mm-dd myself, just wish the data entry was easier,
    but it sure is easier read, and I don't really type all that many dates.
    When it's sorted it really looks sorted, and it doesn't wobble around.
    ---
    HTH,

  5. #5

    Re: #######?

    It was a fight to get my coworkers to use 4 digit years!

    I used to irritate them by asking what a date of 01/02/03 meant?

    (when in doubt, a format that spells out the month may be the way to go.)

  6. #6
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Typically this indicates that the column is not wide enough to
    display the date. Widen the column and it should go away.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson