Automation to update 288 ranges?

  1. #1

    Automation to update 288 ranges?

    I do calculations in one workbook where the resulting values are
    returned on 24 worksheets in 12 separate ranges (or matrices) per
    worksheet. I have another workbook which will have matrices set up in
    a similar fashion and I need to be able to "send" or update the values
    in the corresponding matrices in that file. The two Excel files cannot
    be merged into one file. I have not come up with an elegant solution
    to do this. The idea of setting up linked formulas for each cell in
    the "destination" workbook is not too appealing - there HAS to be a
    better way. Any ideas?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Automation to update 288 ranges?

    C,

    You don't say why the linked formulas are not satisfactory. The linked
    formulas will provide changing results as the data changes. The data must
    remain in place for the results to remain (though the linked formulas can be
    manually converted, via Paste special - Values, to hard data to freeze the
    results) . A macro can evaluate the data, plug in the results, which will
    remain. Macros can handle procedural algorighms that are messy or
    impossible with formulas.

    Generally, you write a macro to automate specific things in Excel. Whether
    it's worth the learning curve to do this yourself depends on many things.
    Will there be a lot of changes, or new requirements to be handled, or just a
    single set of requirements that once satisfied, let you get on with your
    work? How quickly does the solution need to be provided? Do you have the
    interest in doing programming?

    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com

    news:[email protected]...