Counting data in a range

  1. #1
    Stuart
    Guest

    Counting data in a range

    I want to count a specific data item from a range e.g. say the data below was
    in column A and B on a spreadsheet:

    Department Name
    SALES John
    SALES Fred
    IT Sue
    FINANCE Stu
    SALES Jo
    HR Steve

    I want to count the number of times SALES occurs. I've tried DCOUNT/DCOUNTA
    but haven't got this to work. Any help appreciated!

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Counting data in a range

    =COUNTIF(A:A,"sales")

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Stuart
    Guest

    Re: Counting data in a range

    Thanks CLR, that did the trick.

    Is there a function that will count ALL values in the range i.e.
    SALES = 3
    IT = 1
    HR = 1
    FINANCE = 1

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Damon Longworth
    Guest

    Re: Counting data in a range

    To count all, try Count or CountA.

    --
    Damon Longworth

    Don't miss out on the 2005 Excel User Conference
    Sept 16th and 17th
    Stockyards Hotel - Ft. Worth, Texas
    www.ExcelUserConference.com

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Counting data in a range

    You're welcome Stuart.............to count everything,

    =COUNTA(A:A)

    To count everything EXCEPT "sales"........

    =COUNTA(A:A)-COUNTIF(A:A,"SALES")