corrupt Excel 2003

  1. #1
    Boze
    Guest

    corrupt Excel 2003

    My boss said his Excel 2003 has become extremely slow to launch. He has no
    idea of anything that changed that could cause this. In looking around I
    found something strange. When I look at Tools > AutoCorrect Options and
    then click OK, without making any changes, a msg box pops up. The message
    is unreadable because the text is symbols and chinese-looking fonts. I also
    get this msg box when I look at Tools > Options > Error Checking tab. I can
    close the box and use Excel. It doesn't lock it up or make it unusable.
    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance
    Boze

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    London
    Two suggestions:

    Have you got any add-ins installed? Try removing them.

    The other thing - bit more drastic is to Detect and Repair your boss' installation.
    Martin Short

  3. #3
    If there isnt any add ins just reinstall Excel

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    London
    You don't actually need to reinstall on 2002+ nockam, that's what detect and repair does - it resets the install to factory settings.

  5. #5
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: corrupt Excel 2003

    One thing I'd try is to rename his toolbar file (Excel11.xlb) usually found
    at

    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

    Another is to use Regedit.exe to rename his

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0

    branch (e.g., change 11.0 to 11.0x). This will cause all his customization
    to disappear but will fix any corruption in the registry. Do both these
    things with Excel closed. You can always rename the file and the registry
    key back if you don't like the result.

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Boze
    Guest

    Re: corrupt Excel 2003

    The Detect and Repair fixed it! I had to choose "Discard my customized
    settings.." which also reset his Outlook settings. I had to re-input email
    info and set all that up but it was well worth fixing Excel

    Thanks for the help
    Boze

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Boze
    Guest

    Re: corrupt Excel 2003

    Thanks for the suggestion Jim. Unfortunately I'd already done Detect and
    Repair. Will definitely print your message out for reference. Would like
    to have tried it

    Boze

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor
    London
    Glad to help.

    I like Jim's solution a lot and it is the sort of thing I often experiment with.

    However, be careful particularly with registry edits. If one thing is broken, you don't know what else might have popped out. Unless you've got time on your hands it can be like pulling a strand of wool out of a sweater: it keeps going and going and...

    Often with end users (and managers are the worst!), it's often better to use a quick cheerful method like detect/repair just to get the job done, get them out of your hair!!